Subject: Re: Confused in PC Land
From: Ed Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
To: "Dave A. West" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 11:12:09 -0400 (EDT)

I just got my P133 system last night (FAST!). This was custom built by 
Expert Services (Florence, KY) for me with a Triton Chipset MB, 16 MB EDO 
RAM, Diamond Stealth 64 Video card, etc. I haven't installed WinNT yet, 
so I am using WfWG for now. No problems AT ALL with LightWave - although 
I did have to go to 64k color mode (1024x768) for the Layout previews to 
show correctly. I would recommend the Triton chipset - it's Intel's 
latest for PCI support. The Diamond Stealth 64 Video card is also 
recommended for LW. I have 256kb cache now, but have 512 kb cache on 
order - not sure what the benchmark say, but I will do a test to compare. 
16MB is usable - the "blade" scene off the LW CDROM renders just fine, 
with tolerable swapping.

------------------------------------  my sig!  ------------------------------
|       I brew the beer I drink!          #    This sig has been cruelly    |
| Try the Ohio Valley Amiga Users Group   # tested on furry little animals. |
|   home page --> http://www.ovaug.org    #     http://iac.net/~ehoffman    |

On Tue, 22 Aug 1995, Dave A. West wrote:

> I am planning to purchase a PC to augment my aged Amiga. I am
> leaning towards a Gateway P5 120 loaded as follows:
> 
> 32 Megs RAM
> 256 cache
> 1.6 Gig HD
> 3 (at least) open PCI slots
> Melinium 64 w/2Megs (video card on motherboard I think)
> 
> I have read that Gateway 120's use Intel's Triton chip set. Wasn't
> there a post awhile back citing problems with Triton sets???
> I'm reading what I can from the PC rags but would prefer some
> feedback from PC Lightwave users.
--
Ed Hoffmann <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]